This is the day when the idea of putting on a play with friends this summer became real, rather than just (very) wishful thinking! After going back and forth with S. (who will act as director), it finally came to light that everything seemed a go with running the play in Georgetown, MA, where the Georgetown Theater Workshop S. has long been affiliated with is located, rather than somewhere in Cambridge. Pros: real lights and sets and things; cons: no AC, 45 min away; guess which won out? As we had no prospects in Cambridge, it was quite easy to decide that Georgetown was a winner and that we had better act fast (groaning here; this one's for Ed) if this were to happen. And after I finally got my hands on a copy of the script (Rumors, by Neil Simon) and read it through -- I was sold.
After work I planned to head to the Thirsty Ear to read through the script quietly. [Aside: I tend to give the Thirsty more of a bad rap than I should, as it's a perfectly lovely venue to gather and has great beers. This is pretty much only because my affinity lies with the only other MIT on-campus pub. I like the more ruffian-looking crew gathered at the much more charming Muddy Charles, which has the additional perks of being both located in beautiful Morss hall on the Charles River and also the primary drinking site of the illustrious Straw Dogs.] However, the whole reason for choosing the Thirsty for this quiet evening was that a friend of mine was working tonight at the door. It being much more fun to sit with him than on my own, and him being much more obliging than most, I was given the pleasure of reading the play in its entirety aloud to him at the door. Our conclusion was that Neil Simon is a farcical genius and that this play must absolutely happen.