Friday, May 11, 2012
Day 32: Oh, the people you'll meet!
One of the things I love most about living in this area is that it's big enough to feel somewhat anonymous when you want to, yet very much small enough that you run into people on the street that you know (for instance, in both heading out towards and back from the airport, I ran into the *same person* -- and yesterday alone, I ran into both my ex-boyfriend, walking toward the coffee shop located in the same building as my apartment, and my roommate, in Harvard Square). It's also small enough that if you frequent a location for a short while, you'll run into the same people over and over and often become friendly.
Tonight, I first made a cake for a friend's birthday party located at her house in Somerville, and later in the evening took the T into Boston to go to karaoke with a bunch of friends from my choir, two members who were celebrating birthdays tonight as well. Charles Playhouse was the locay, and of course there were regulars there whom I'd met at least on two separate occasions before. I also got offered a job working there, for whatever reason (my hypothesis: it's because I helped bail out a girl who got roped into singing along to "Girls just wanna have fun" with some random drunk chick -- sweet, but drunk). At any rate, if you live here in Cambridge, you get to feel like you really, really *live* here. And it's wonderful.
Labels:
baking,
birthdays,
Boston,
cake,
Cambridge,
Charles Playhouse,
karaoke,
Somerville