Saturday, April 7, 2012

Day 5: Cambridge Winter Farmer's Market


At the request of a friend of mine who does urban foraging, and who had a booth at the market this morning, I attended the Cambridge Winter Farmers' Market for the first time early this afternoon. I came away with a slightly heightened knowledge of the foraging prospects around the Charles river, a copy of an urban foraging book (gift for Dad for Father's Day), and some tasty aged cheese.

I started writing this post this afternoon, before I knew about the second wonderful treat Cambridge would bring me today. A friend of mine posted a message online that she had an extra ticket to a show at Berklee Performance Center just across the river to see Devotchka opening for the Magnetic Fields. I know Devotchka mostly from the soundtrack to Little Miss Sunshine and had only heard a few songs from Magnetic Fields (which I must admit at first I thought was "Magnetic Zeros", as in Edward Sharp and the Magnetic Zeros, a band I've been listening to a lot recently). And boy was I pleasantly surprised at hearing both live! We had really good seats (although Berklee is a great venue and most any seat is good) which always makes it nicer. The night ended with a lovely walk over the bridge back to Cambridge, though a bit frigid. That sneak preview of spring we had a few weeks back would be welcome as a more stable fixture!